Individuals who are considered resident aliens are often referred to as “tax residents.” In many cases, resident aliens are subject to U.S. income tax in the same way as U.S. citizens. What follows are resources related to additional steps or information a resident alien may need when completing their tax return.

United States tax residents may seek free tax assistance offered by the university’s Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program, available through MU Extension. Information for the current tax year's sessions is linked below when available. For additional information, call 573-884-1690.

VITA programs for 2021

MU Extension VITA sites are open throughout the state and offer Missourians assistance with tax return preparation.

A U.S. tax resident with a tax treaty benefit may have received the full benefit during the tax year (all treaty income is reported on a 1042-S) or may need to claim treaty benefits on their tax return (known as a residual treaty claim).

If all treaty benefits have been received and are reported on a 1042-S, the tax filer may attend the resident Voluntary Income Tax Assistance program as normal.

If you are a tax resident who needs to make a residual treaty claim, the Nonresident Alien Taxation Office can provide a form necessary for your return. Once you obtain this form 8833, you may attend the resident tax clinic. Please email the Nonresident Alien Taxation Office to request the form.


Residents who have a spouse or dependents who do not have a Social Security Number will need to apply for an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) for family members listed on the return.

Assistance with the ITIN application is provided by the Jefferson City H&R Block Office, 1709 Missouri Blvd. Suite D-E (573) 634-4999. Appointments are recommended.

The appointment should take place after the tax return paperwork has been prepared so that the original tax return can be brought to the ITIN appointment.