Within an employee's ePAF/PAF, there are a number of areas to include information and actions that can be completed that update the ePAF/PAF. This summary of different job actions provides a summary of those items most frequently encountered. For specific questions, reach out to your CAPS representative.

There are several ePAF forms within PeopleSoft HR, and each has its own use depending on the action being accomplished. Job Actions should be processed on the appropriate ePAF form to ensure accurate and timely processing. For specific questions, reach out to your local CAPS representative.

The hire eForm is used to create a new hire or transfer from an outside department to your department. Non-Recruit hires are started under Start a Personnel Action and Recruit hires will be generated to your worklist, available under Evaluate an ePAF.

If a recruit hire needs to be a transfer you can do so by clicking the transfer button before submitting. To transfer a non-recruit hire choose Transfer Non-Recruit under Start a Personnel Action.

New hires, rehires, and transfers may receive a system generated ANF notification. All information in this notification will come from the submitted hire/transfer request so accuracy is important when submitting these requests. Employees will be referred to their department if they have questions about the details in this ANF notification.

Like its name suggests, this form is used when changing HR status, including leave of absence (both paid and unpaid), separations and retirement. Returning from leave is also recorded on this form, unless job information is changing as part of the return, in which case the Job Change form should be completed instead.

Retirements and FMLA are processed by the UM System Benefit and Retirement teams, not campus departments.

If any job data information needs updating on a return from leave of absence (RLOA), proceed with a job change ePAF.

The job change form should be used to make updates to job information for an existing, active employee including supervisor, FTE and compensation rate. Changes to job code and/or deptID need to be submitted under Transfer Non-Recruit.

If you are making a change to the record and the employee is on leave, there will be a return from leave button. Toggle to "Yes" to return from leave in addition to job changes.

If the only change being requested is to return an employee from leave, please proceed to the status change.

If the only change being requested is to the funding/mocode, proceed to the JED ePAF.

The Additional Pay is used to submit additional earnings that an employee will be paid in addition to their base pay. HR Policy determines which additional pay actions are available for exempt and/or non-exempt employees, and for benefit-eligible or non-benefit eligible (temporary) employees. For example:

  • Hiring Incentive (REL) - Benefit-eligible employees
  • Moving Allowance (MOV) - typically only granted to benefit-eligible employees
  • Award (AWD) - Established award programs with division approval
  • Extra Compensation (EXT) - Exempt employees only

All actions must have appropriate approval prior to processing. See the Additional Pay Training Guide (PDF) and HR Policy Manual HR-214 Extra Compensation for more information.

Non-paid appointments that require an affiliation with a department use the Courtesy Hire form. Courtesy appointments can be useful for many different reasons, such as establishing a university email address, access to logins requiring a university ID/password, library access and more.

  • To request a courtesy for an existing emplID use the Hire Non-Recruit option, choosing empl class Courtesy
  • To request a courtesy for a courtesy that needs an emplID, begin with Create EmplID option.

Yearly review of courtesy appointments is needed to ensure only necessary appointments exist. Please review the following policies for more information:

Used to update the work address and/or work phone number for an employee’s record, this information loads to PeopleSoft and pulls to Outlook. Any changes to an employee’s home address/phone number is their responsibility to update in their myHR. This eForm bypasses all workflow and loads directly into the system.

Used if the only change to an employee's record is to change the funding source. This eForm bypasses all workflow and loads directly into the system.

Certain requested changes cannot be processed through an ePAF form. Consult the list below for the types of job actions that require other means to complete as well as instructions for processing.

Working titles don’t have an effective date associated with them, which would throw off the job data because ePAF forms adds a new row for each form. To process a change in working title, send an email to your CAPS representative that includes the EMPLID, employee name and the requested title change.

Employee names are not stored in job data. To process a name change, the employee should come visit the NER team in 325 Jesse in person to present their new Social Security Card with a photo ID. If an in-person visit is not possible, contact the appropriate CAPS representative to discuss options.

Effective date changes require correction mode, which ePAF cannot accommodate. Instead email the appropriate CAPS representative for updates.

ePAF is not equipped to handle these types of contract changes due to the inherent complexities in contract pay. For cases like this, email to the appropriate CAPS representative.

ePAF is designed to update the position information first and then update job data after. Changing position information for one employee results in all other employees in that position number to be mismatched when position is updated but the requested employee's job data is updated.

It’s important that all incumbents on a position number must always have the same job code, department, reports to and FTE.

If all employees in the position need to receive the same update, send an email to the appropriate CAPS representative with position number and requested changes. If changes are not for all employees, then the employee(s) that need to be changed need to be moved to a new position number.

The union agreement requires applicable employees be paid at a higher rate after 15 days. See section XXI “pay for work in higher classification” in the Understanding of Policies, Laborers' International Union of North America Local 955 (Columbia, MU Health Care, Kansas City) (PDF) for full details.

A Justification for Increase (JFI) is not required since the increase is required per the union agreement. There is no discretion in paying the amount. The employee stays in their existing title, and will be paid at the appropriate step but at the higher rate (i.e., on the same step as the employee’s current title). This type of change cannot be processed through ePAF

Attaching appropriate documentation to the ePAF provides a method for ensuring approvals are verified and employment records are maintained pursuant to HR-125 Employee Records. The following reference chart provides an overview of the types of documents which can be attached to the ePAF. Please consult with the CAPS representative for more information.

Additional Pay ePAF Documents

  • Supporting Documentation
    • Email approvals
    • Any other email or document supporting action
  • Award/Incentive Documentation; Justification for Increase; Other
    • N/A; do not use this category

When processing an ePAF for academic employees, the tenure data section may or may not be editable depending on the status of the tenure.

  • Tenure Status DISPLAY/READ ONLY (no updates can be made through ePAF)
    • TEN (Tenure)
    • NTK (Non Tenure On Track)
    • DEN (Tenure Denied)
    • OTH (Other)
    • DEF (Tenure by de Facto)
  • Tenure Status EDITABLE (able to update through ePAF):
    • NOT (Non Tenure Not on Track)
    • NA (Not Applicable)

If you experience any tenure issues or have questions, please contact your CAPS representative.

Action Reason Codes

Different employee and pay types have different earnings codes. The full list of action reason definitions is published on the UM System Core HR Admin webpage.

Earn Codes

Similarly, there are codes associated with the different types of actions related to pay groups and payroll processing. A full list of earn codes and descriptions is published on the UM System Campus Payroll Information webpage.

Academic Discipline Codes

The university has over two hundred academic disciplines. For a comprehensive list of associated codes, consult the Academic Discipline Code spreadsheet (Excel).

Standard Hours (HRS) Full Time Equivalent (FTE)
40 1.00
39 0.98
38 0.95
37 0.93
36 0.90
35 0.88
34 0.85
33 0.83
32 0.80
31 0.78
30 0.75
29 0.73
28 0.70
27 0.68
26 0.65
25 0.63
24 0.60
23 0.58
22 0.55
21 0.53
20 0.50
19 0.48
18 0.45
17 0.43
16 0.40
15 0.38
14 0.35
13 0.33
12 0.12
11 0.28
10 0.25
09 0.23
08 0.20
07 0.18
06 0.15
05 0.13
04 0.10
03 0.08
02 0.05
01 0.03


Academic nine-month appointments are managed via “contract pay.” Processing pay for nine-month academic appointments varies depending on whether the employee elects to receive pay over a nine-month or a twelve-month period and the time in which their benefits start.

Please consult the following documents for processing details for new hires and current employees on 9-month contracts.

Whether student officers/committee chairs are paid through Payroll or Accounts Payable (AP) depends on the nature of the services provided and IRS regulations. Additional information and applicable payment processes are outlined on the Student Officer/Committee Chair Payments webpage.

In all cases, student officer/committee chair payments are not considered financial aid. Therefore, these particular payments to students are not made through Financial Aid.

Occasionally there will be a need for the employee to complete the Form I-9 form remotely. This process is allowed in the following situations:

  • The employee will not be working in the state of Missouri.
  • The employee lives in Missouri, but does not live or intend to work near any University of Missouri campus Human Resources office.

When these situations arise, the hiring department should reach out to their CAPS unit to confirm the use of the “Remote Hire” process.  If approved, this process involves the employee locating someone in their area who would be willing to review their original documentation and complete Section Two of the I-9 as an agent of the University of Missouri. 

CAPS will supply the unit with documents to assist in the process and explain necessary next steps.